E-customs in the EU (the implementation plan)
European Commission adopted the Work Programme, which sets out the plan to replace all paper-based customs procedures with electronic procedures by the middle of 2025, in order to create a more efficient and modern customs environment.
The Work Programme sets out a list of projects related to the development and deployment of electronic systems. The design and implementation of projects and related systems shall be governed by the Work Programme and the Multi-Annual Strategic Plan for electronic Customs (MASP). MASP ensures effective and consistent management of IT projects by defining both key tools and key deadlines for their implementation.
Some of the projects are being developed at the European Commission level, others at the national level, and one more part involves the preparation of a technical specification at EU level and implementation at the national level.
The Work Programme includes the following projects:
- UCC Registered Exporter System (REX)
- UCC Binding Tariff Information (BTI)
- UCC Customs Decisions
- Direct trader access to the European Information Systems (Uniform User Management & Digital Signature)
- UCC Authorised Economic Operators (AEO) upgrade
- UCC Economic Operator Registration and Identification System upgrade (EORI 2)
- UCC Surveillance 3
- UCC Proof of Union Status (PoUS)
- UCC New Computerised Transit System (NCTS) upgrade
- UCC Automated Export System (AES)
- UCC Information Sheets (INF) for Special Procedures
- UCC Special Procedures
- UCC Notification of Arrival, Presentation Notification and Temporary Storage
- UCC National Import Systems upgrade
- UCC Centralised Clearance for Import (CCI)
- UCC Guarantee Management (GUM)
- UCC Import Control System 2 (ICS2)
The detailed deadlines for the implementation of the IT projects set out in the Work Programme and MASP are given under this link.
Commission Implementing Decision (EU) 2019/2151 of 13 December 2019 establishing the Work Programme relating to the development and deployment of the electronic systems provided for in the Union Customs Code
- Topic: electronic customs systems; novel solutions and technologies; digitalisation
- Market: EU - European Union